Dr Suhel Ashraff has studied and worked in some of the most prestigious institutions in the world. He qualified from the prestigious Armed Forces Medical College, Pune in India with distinctions in multiple subjects. He completed his junior doctor training from Edinburgh, UK and his Specialist training from the North Eastern Deanery in the United Kingdom including Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle, UK. He has dual UK General Medical Council accreditation and obtained his CCT in General Medicine and Diabetes and Endocrinology. He also has a Masters in Diabetes from Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh, UK and a PhD from Queen Margaret University in conjunction with Edinburgh University and Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, UK.
He has over 8 years of experience in the field. Previous to his joining NMC, he worked as a Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology in James Cook University hospital, Middlesbrough, UK and led the Pump services, Community diabetes, Bone metabolism and Thyroid eye disease services. He also worked in Obesity management, Antenatal services, Bone metabolism, Thyroid cancer management and Diabetic foot services.
He is a Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (UK), The Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (UK) and Higher Education Academy (UK). He is affiliated to various international organizations including Diabetes UK, Society of Endocrinology (UK), American Association of Clinical Endocrinologist, Diabetes Technology Network (UK), European Congress of Endocrinology, International Society of Clinical Densitometry (USA) and European Association for study of Diabetes (EASD).
He has numerous publications in various international peer reviewed journals and has authored two international book chapters. His other interests lie in Medical Education and he obtained a PG Certificate in Medical Education from Newcastle University, UK. He is an examiner for MRCP UK PACES exam and is on the panel for MRCP UK part 1 and 2 question writing group. He has taught on various medical courses in Edinburgh, UK and Newcastle University, UK. He has also completed an MBA in Leadership and Healthcare Management from Cumbria University, UK and has held various leadership positions over the years.
Area of Expertise
- Disorders of thyroid hormones or thyroid enlargement (goitre)
- Calcium, parathyroid hormone, Vitamin D, osteoporosis, and bone metabolism problems
- Pituitary hormone disorders
- Adrenals gland disorders
- Reproductive hormones problems (oestrogen or testosterone replacement)
- Endocrine related menstrual periods problem or excessive hair growth (PCOS), premature ovarian failure or menopause
- Endocrine causes of infertility (prolactinomas, hypogonadism)
- Erectile dysfunction
- Endocrine hypertension (Cushing syndrome, pheochromocytoma, Conn’s syndrome)
- Obesity management including work up for Bariatric surgery
- Lipid (cholesterol) management
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes,
- Complications of diabetes specially to delay progression of diabetic kidney disease.
- Management of cardiometabolic syndrome with type 2 diabetes, obesity and history of heart attack/cardiac stents or bypass
- Use of insulin pumps including sensor augmented insulin and artificial pancreas systems supported via CGM devices.
- Remote glucose monitoring support tools for optimizing diabetes care during pregnancy.
He is fluent in English, Urdu and Hindi.